3 Ways to Get What You Want From God
In my past, there was this one guy that I just knew God wanted to be my husband. I wanted a husband so bad that I confused God’s voice with my own. I thought God had told me this individual was “the one,” but He didn’t. It was simply my own desire. (Read about that experience by clicking here: “4 Ways To Tell He’ll Never Marry You”)
Actually, before building a relationship with God, I treated most of my life’s desires the same way: I assumed that if I wanted it, then God wanted it for me too.
I didn’t have a relationship with God outside of church service and I didn’t even know His voice, yet as soon as something came along that I wanted, it all of a sudden became “God’s will.”
The idea of using God’s name to support my wishes became normal. I would draft five year plans, receive job opportunities, and get into relationships without ever consulting God. I would assume that because a situation or person looked good, smelled nice, and seemed flattering, that it must be what God wanted for me. So, I would accept any open door that “looked good” and call it a “blessing.” I didn’t even know God’s voice for myself, so I hadn’t heard His opinion on what I chose to pursue. Yet, I was so sure it was “God’s will.”
Today, I have the blessing of knowing God’s voice. I can see a job opportunity that “looks” great, but I can be wise enough to know for myself whether or not it’s what He truly has for me.
As I look back on my life, I would love to know what God actually intended for me to have all those years I assumed His desires were my own. I would love to have avoided all those failed relationships and dead ends. I don’t want you to go down the same path I’ve been on, so here are three ways to truly get what you want from God:
1) Learn His Voice– God’s desires for your life are in a relationship with Him. The more you know Him, the easier it becomes to understand what He’s saying about your life. His voice is in His Word. Get in His Word and knowing His voice will follow.
2) Submit– God will not always want what you want. But, the blessing is that He will always have better for you than you can ever imagine for yourself. So, don’t be afraid to receive a “no” answer from God. Instead, trust and know that His “no” is either to protect you or prepare you for greater.
3) Only pray according to His will– I always ask God “what do you want to do about this situation?” I don’t pray something unless I’m praying according to God’s will. Prayer shouldn’t feel like the lottery-constantly guessing whether God will answer you. When you’ve been spending so much time with God, His wants become your wants. So, you naturally only want His desires for your life.
I used to smoke weed, have premarital sex, and live a life outside of God’s will, all while claiming I was pursuing goals and dreams for Him. Before claiming whether you’re doing something for God, ask yourself, “Does He have my life?”
Looking back on my past, I’m glad God cared enough to not give me what I thought I wanted! Now, I have even better. There’s not one piece of my life I’ve sacrificed for God that He hasn’t replaced with better! So, let go of whatever may be separating you from Him! I can promise you that the rewards are endless!
Be encouraged. God has greater for you than you can ever desire or want for yourself. But, you have to trust Him. He has to have your life before He can do anything with it. First, start with trusting Him and deepening your relationship with Him. Then, the life He has for you can follow.
Read more about my book by clicking here.
Other blogs on this topic:
1) 4 ways to deepen your relationship with God
2) Understanding Your Life: How to Receive Godly Success
3) Pinky Promise 2014 …A Life Changing Experience
4) God Hasn’t Forgotten About You
5) The Top 5 Reasons Many Christian Women Stay Single
6)Why Won’t God Send You a Husband?
Oh Em gee! Where have you been all my life? Lol…. This is another part of my life I’m working on….submitting fully to the will of God! SUBMIT has been my word from a lot of people these past weeks! Amen! Keep posting please! 🙂
Praise God! I sure will . I encourage you to increase your personal time with Him. Just like any other person, you’ll begin to trust God more as you get to know Him better. You won’t want to submit to someone that you don’t even trust. So, get to know Him better. The more you know Him, the easier it becomes to trust Him 🙂 Do you have any blog requests? Anything you’re struggling in that you want me to write?
Love it! You are so right. And at the end of the day I have to truly want it for myself. One blog suggestion would be about self-esteem and finding your passion and sticking to it and remaining focused on your passion
Hmm those are great ideas .. I was thinking about blogging on finding your purpose vs discovering success . So , that’s right up that same alley! Thanks will definitely be keeping these in mind! Stay tuned for more ! Subscribe so you can get the post via email and that way you’ll know when it’s out 🙂
Great Great! And yes ma’am I will subscribe
Awesome! 🙂 looking fwd to keeping in touch
I absolutely love your blog. I am always waiting for a new posting and I find myself re-reading old postings. Thank you so much. This one reflected exactly how I have been thinking. I wanted so badly my desires to be Jehovah’s desires for my life. I get so scared of failing but I must learn to trust Him.
Amen !! Aww this really warms my heart! Praise God! So happy that He uses me to inspire you:) love you girl!